Friday, February 11, 2005

Blood is thicker than water...

So, I just got off the phone with my mom, who I call nightly...between 8:30 and 9:00, depending on whether or not the man she married, but is now divorcing, is on the computer or not. Little did my mom know, my younger sister had already called me...a few hours earlier...to give me the lastest family drama. It seems that my mom's soon to be ex has been screwing around on her on and off for the last 12 years. Being the calm and rational person that I am, of course I was ready to call the scummy bastard and show him the side that has rendered me a bitch in the eyes of so many who know me. But, my sister made me promise not to be my rational self until my mom had a chance to talk to me herself. This, of course, was very difficult for me. The whole time I am waiting for 8:30 to roll around, I am simmering like a fresh pot of coffee. Most people become calmer after a couple of hours...and even forget after a few days. Notice I said "most people." If there is one thing that I have prided myself on for the past 26 years is not being like "most people." In fact, I often go out of my way to do the exact opposite of what I think "most people" would do. It may sound strange to some, but for me, it's oddly exciting. But, i digress. Instead of calming down, I tend to simmer...and I definitely hold grudges. I keep replaying the scenario over and over again in my head, which tends to cause me to become more and more pissed off. This is never good for anyone involved, and especially isn't good if you are supposed to be acting like you have absolutely no idea about the whooping news your mom is going to drop on you during your nightly call...between 8:30 and 9:00. By the time I actually had to make the call, I was pretty past simmering point. I had to tap deep into the acting skills I use while pretending to teach my precious children with exceptional needs (a story for another day). I called my mom at my usual time...she answered promptly on the first ring...I acted surprised when she told me she had some news to tell me...she proceeded in providing me with the gory details...I felt the boiling point coming on....before she even had time to finish I was overflowing. I couldn't help myself. I feel like I am a person that can deal with a lot. Shady people and adults with no bloody sense...not so much. Ryan often tells me that I am abrasive to a scary degree when I become upset. I don't deny these things...hell, i know these things about myself and have learned to accept them. Every so often, however, I feel that being abrasive is the only way to get your point across...especially when you a) have no respect for who you are dealing with, b) are dealing with a shady person, c) you are dealing with an adult with no bloody sense, or d) all of the above. I am definitely circling *d* in this case, so any rationality that may have existed (and a big MAY that would be) is completely and utterly flushed down the crapper. I informed my mother that she needed to be strong, and since I am my mother's child, I would be informing her bastard of an ex...in a polite and loving way, of course...that blood is a hell of a lot thicker than water. I won't call him today, that's too soon. Maybe tomorrow, when the simmering has again begun and the fresh brew of poetry that is only stirred up by a women scorned...or even worse by a women of a mother scorned...is ready to be poured...

No comments: